A sunroof is an excellent feature to have in your vehicle. It allows you to enjoy the warmth of the sun, the breeze on your skin, and the beautiful views of the sky. But the glass in your sunroof is still glass, and can break over time because of wear and tear, extreme temperatures, and other damage. Here are five things to know about sunroof glass replacement if you’re looking to replace your sunroof glass.
What Exactly Is Sunroof Glass?
Sunroof glass is a specialty glass that provides superior protection and durability for sunroofs. It is typically made from tempered glass, a type of glass that has been heat-treated to increase its strength and break resistance. The glass is further protected by a special coating that helps to protect it from the sun’s damaging UV rays. Sunroof glass is an important component of a sunroof, as it helps to keep the interior of the vehicle cool while providing a clear view of the sky.
How to Choose the Right Sunroof Glass Replacement
Replacing sunroof glass is a specialty that should be left to a professional, trained auto glass technician. When replacing a sunroof, there are a few factors the tech will consider. First, they’ll need to ensure that the replacement glass is the same size and shape as the original glass in your sunroof, by matching the part specifically with the year, make, and model of your vehicle. Sometimes the year, made and model provides enough data to match the proper part. Other times, the auto glass shop will use special software to decode the VIN (vehicle identification number). This will accurately identify what part is correct for your vehicle.
- Glass Type: The type of glass used in the sunroof should match the factory glass, which is typically tempered glass. Sometimes automakers, such as Volvo and Tesla, will use laminated glass instead. Laminated glass is essentially two layers of glass fused together by a sheet of polyvinyl. This can reduce the risk of a shattered sunroof. Laminated glass can also provide additional protection from the sun and a quieter ride.
- Size: A sunroof’s size will determine the amount of light and air that is let into your vehicle through the opening. It can also determine the cost. In general, larger sunroof glass parts will cost more than smaller glass parts.
- Design: Design is also a factor when it comes to replacement. Complicated designs, such as panoramic sunroof systems may take longer to install and be more costly.
- Cost: Cost will include parts and labor. Some companies may offer free warranties on workmanship and free mobile installation.
- Installation: The sunroof installation process should only be completed by a professional auto glass technician. Mobile service may be possible for some vehicles- this option allows the work to be completed at your home, work, or wherever is most convenient for you.
- Maintenance: After the installation of your new sunroof is complete, you should consider performing regular maintenance. This would include cleaning the glass, gaskets, sunroof tray, and drain lines.
- Warranty: Warranties typically won’t cover the glass itself, but could cover if something goes wrong with the installation.
What Are the Benefits of Sunroof Glass Replacement?
If the sunroof glass is broken, the benefits are fairly obvious. First, replacing your car’s broken sunroof glass will help to protect the interior of your vehicle from UV and water damage. It will also make for a cooler (or warmer) and quieter ride.
If the sunroof glass is scratched, or damaged in some other way, sunroof glass replacement can still offer great benefits. It will help to improve the look of your sunroof, as the new glass will be free of scratches and other signs of wear and tear.
- A Better Look: The appearance of your car can be significantly improved by replacing the sunroof glass. A new, glossy, and streak-free or un-broken sunroof glass will give your car a refreshed and modern look.
- Improved Safety: Sunroof glass replacement can also help improve the safety of your vehicle. Damaged sunroof glass can be a safety hazard, allowing debris and moisture to enter the cabin. A replacement sunroof glass will help keep you and your passengers safe and sound.
- Reduced Noise: A damaged sunroof glass can cause wind noise to enter the car, making for an uncomfortable ride. Changing the glass will cut down on wind noise and make your ride more comfortable all around.
- Increased Comfort: A sunroof glass replacement can also lead to an increase in comfort. Your ride will be more comfortable thanks to a new sunroof glass, which will help keep the cabin warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
- Enhanced Resale Value: Replacing the sunroof glass can also help increase the resale value of your vehicle. When it’s time to sell, a car with a clear, clean sunroof will be easier to get a higher price for.
How Sunroof Glass is Replaced
Installing new sunroof glass is sometimes a complicated task, which can usually be done in a few hours by a trained auto glass tech. They’ll follow the instructions for your model of sunroof because the way it’s put in will be different from vehicle to vehicle. In most cases of broken sunroofs, the tech will have to take out the old glass, clean the broken glass from the frame, and then put in the new glass.
How to Find Sunroof Glass Replacement Services
When it comes time to have your sunroof replaced, you’ll want to find a qualified shop to perform the work. Glass.com offers nationwide sunroof replacement services through their sunroof specialist affiliate, Sunroof Express. Here’s how to book a sunroof replacement:
- Go to Glass.com’s Sunroof Replacement Page
- Enter your zip code
- Enter the year, make, and model of your vehicle
- Click “Book Now”
- Submit your contact information
- Our sunroof replacement specialist will reach out to confirm your appointment
How to Maintain Sunroof Glass
Maintaining your sunroof glass after the replacement is a vital part of keeping it in good condition. It’s important to regularly inspect the glass for any signs of damage, such as scratches or cracks. If you notice any damage, have it repaired or replaced as soon as possible. Also, you’ll want to clean the glass often to keep dirt and other things from sticking to it.
In conclusion, sunroof glass replacement is an important part of maintaining the integrity of your sunroof. Knowing what to look for when selecting glass replacement services, how to schedule a replacement, and how to maintain it can help ensure that your sunroof is in good condition. With the right sunroof glass replacement, you’ll be able to enjoy the sky’s beauty and the sun’s warmth for many years to come.