Have you ever noticed a crack or chip on your car’s windshield? If so, you’re not alone. Windshield cracks and chips are a common problem, but they’re also an important safety issue. A cracked or chipped windshield can obstruct your vision, making it difficult to see the road ahead. It can also weaken the structural integrity of your windshield, making it more likely to shatter in the event of a collision.
That’s why it’s important to get a windshield repair or replacement as soon as possible after noticing a crack or chip. There are two main types of windshield cracks: surface cracks and bullseyes. Surface cracks are shallow and typically less than 6 inches long. Bullseyes are deeper and usually round or oval.
In this blog, we will explain the steps to take after noticing a crack in your windshield.
Step 1: Assess the Windshield’s Crack Damage
If you notice a crack or a chip on your windshield, you should not ignore it. A minor windshield damage can quickly turn into a major problem that can compromise your safety and the integrity of your vehicle. The first step you should take is to assess the windshield damage and determine how severe it is. You can use a tool like a quarter or a ruler to measure the size and depth of the crack or chip.
Generally, if the damage is smaller than a quarter, it can be easily repaired by a professional windshield glass repair service. However, if the damage is larger or deeper, you may need to replace the entire windshield. You should also check if the crack or chip is in your line of sight, as this can impair your visibility and increase the risk of accidents.
Step 2: Choose a Reputable Auto Glass Repair Company
When choosing an auto glass repair company, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- Reputation: Look for a company with a good reputation in the community. Read online reviews and testimonials from past customers to get a sense of their experience with the company.
- Experience: Choose a company with experienced and certified technicians. Make sure they have the knowledge and expertise to repair your windshield safely and correctly.
- Warranty: You may with to opt for a company that offers a warranty on its workmanship. This will protect you in case the repair fails.
- Pricing: It’s helpful to get quotes from multiple companies to compare pricing. Be sure to compare the cost of the repair as well as any additional costs, such as labor. However, keep in mind that a safe, high-quality replacement is more important than a low price.
- Convenience: Consider the company’s location and hours of operation. Nearly all replacement companies offer mobile service and will come to your home or work to complete the replacement where it’s convenient for you.Here are some additional tips for choosing a reputable auto glass repair company:
- Ask about the company’s use of OEM glass: OEM glass is the same type of glass that your vehicle’s manufacturer uses. OEM glass is typically more expensive, but it may help ensure that your windshield fits and looks the same as it did from the factory.
- Inquire about the company’s repair process: Ask the company about the steps they take to repair your windshield. Make sure they use the latest techniques and equipment.
- Find out about the company’s customer service: Ask about the company’s warranty policy and how they handle customer complaints. Make sure they are committed to providing you with a positive experience.
Step 3: Contact Your Auto Insurance Company
If you have a cracked or broken windshield, you may be wondering how much it will cost to fix it and who will cover the expense. The answer depends on your auto insurance policy and the type of damage. Some insurance companies, such as Progressive and Allstate, offer comprehensive coverage that may waive your deductible and pay for the full cost of repairing or replacing your windshield. Others may require you to pay a deductible or only cover a portion of the cost.
To find out what your policy covers, you should contact your insurance company as soon as possible and file a claim. The glass shop of your choice will be able to work with your insurance company directly to process the claim. Insurance companies cannot force you to work with any certain provider.
Most windshield repairs can be completed in less than an hour, and some companies even offer a lifetime guarantee on their work. Don’t wait to fix your windshield, as a small chip or crack can worsen over time and compromise your safety. Make an appointment today with a trusted glass repair service near you.
Windshield Crack Repair or Replacement?
Whether you opt for windshield repair or replacement depends on the extent of the damage. A swift response to a cracked windshield caused by a rock or windshield chip is crucial. Choose a service that aligns with your needs, ensuring safety and prompt care for your vehicle’s window.
If your vehicle is in need of a windshield replacement, use Glass.com to easily obtain price estimates from local glass shops, and book an appointment.